2017 Husqvarna Motorcycles FE 501
More power than you'll ever be able to use - but smooth, confidence-inspiring and ride-able enough that you could quite realistically try. The 2017 FE 501's brand-new 1.7 kg lighter engine is the most powerful in the Husqvarna enduro line-up. Class leading electronics to adjust the 510.4 cc power plant's delivery while the single overhead camshaft (SOHC) cylinder-head is designed for maximum performance with minimum weight. A new camshaft actuates four lightweight valves, while more stream-lined chain guides increase efficiency and performance. The new compact crankshaft increases inertia without increasing weight, while the new big-end bearing design increases reliability and durability, for long service intervals of 135 hours.
- WP Xplor 48: The WP Xplor 48 front fork is a completely new feature developed by WP Performance Systems specifically for enduro type riding. The forks consist of an open cartridge layout with a spring in each circuit and split damping functions. Compression can be adjusted from the left side and rebound on the right via clickers situated on the top of the fork tube. Additionally, with the standard pre-load adjuster, pre-load can be adjusted by the rider without the use of tools making the new system simple and easy to set up.
- WP rear shock: The WP DCC rear shock is designed to provide advanced damping characteristics while keeping to a compact and lightweight design. The new rear shock weighs only 3.7 kg which is 0.36 kg lighter than the previous version. With a pressure balance inside the shock, damping is improved resulting in greater rider comfort and handling while the outer contour of the reservoir increases cooling. The component is also fully adjustable and matched to a linkage system with a specific geometry to deliver the best possible traction and absorption.
- Wheels and tires: Black high-strength alloy rims by DID are coupled to CNC machined hubs using lightweight spokes and silver anodised aluminium nipples. Fitted to the wheels are Continental TKC80 tyres which offer superior grip on a wide variety of terrain.
- CNC machined triple clamps: The 22 mm offset black-anodised CNC machined triple clamps offer premium quality and style standard on all Husqvarna enduro models. The triple clamps have been expertly crafted using superior techniques and materials to provide high levels of quality and reliability. A 2-way handlebar adjustment is standard and allows for customisable ergonomics.
- Chromoly steel frame: While keeping the same successful geometry from MY 16, the hydro-formed, laser-cut and robot-welded frame is expertly crafted by WP Performance Systems. The 6mm wider and 2 mm lower steel tubes offer 20% higher torsional rigidity while longitudinal stiffness is reduced by 30%. The increased torsional rigidity improves stability and agility while reducing the longitudinal stiffness creates increased flexibility for better bump absorption and suspension functionality. The new frame weighs only 8.8 kg making it 0.6 kg lighter than its predecessor.
- Composite carbon fibre subframe: The composite subframe is a design unique to Husqvarna motorcycles showcasing pioneering technology and innovation. This 3 piece component is made up of 30% carbon fibre making it remarkably light (1.4 kg) saving 1 kg over the previous design. Specific care is taken to create a calculated rigidity for optimal handling and rider ergonomics.
- Functional bodywork: Distinctive and futuristic bodywork highlight the impressive leap forward for MY17, while striking pearl blue and electric yellow colours and graphics stylishly adorn the Swedish inspired design. With completely new ergonomics, rider control and comfort are improved allowing the rider to perform at the peak for longer periods of time. The seat has a low profile design with a new high grip seat cover which keeps the rider planted under hard acceleration and in slippery conditions.
- Aluminium swingarm: The hollow, cast aluminium swingarm is designed to offer optimal stiffness and reliability while adding the least possible weight. The machining above the rear axle allows the chain adjuster markings to be seen from above for easy maintenance.
- Engine: Featuring the latest technology, the FE 501 engine is fully redesigned for MY17. With increased performance, smaller dimensions and a weight saving of 1.7kg as well as a revised cylinder head and class-leading electronics, the 510.4cc power plant is more advanced while weighing only 30.1kg
- Cylinder head: The compact SOHC cylinder head is designed to offer the maximum performance at the minimum possible weight. The new camshaft actuates four lightweight valves (titanium intake Ø=40mm 32,6g, steel exhaust Ø=33mm 42,6g) through a very robust rocker arm system. Additionally, the timing drive is revised with a new, shorter timing chain and friction optimised chain guides which reduce drag and increase efficiency and performance. Overall the more compact design is now 350g lighter.
- Crankcase: The crankcase is designed to house the shaft arrangements and internals of the engine in a position that offers the best possible centre of gravity. This is achieved by moving the crankshaft 7mm higher and 9mm backwards significantly improving mass centralisation and handling agility.
- Crankshaft: The new crankshaft offers 5% added inertia without increasing weight. Additionally, a shorter connecting rod and new crankshaft position improve mass centralisation and contribute to the compact design. A plain big end bearing comprising of two force-fitted bearing shells ensure maximum reliability and durability, guaranteeing long service intervals of 135 hours.
- Tool-less air filter access: The new airbox is designed with precisely positioned inlet ducts aimed at preventing air deformation and ensuring maximum airflow and filter protection. The air filter is easily accessed, without tools, by removing the left side panel. Easy maintenance is guaranteed by the Twin Air filter and filter cage design that features a simple fail proof mounting system for safe and accurate filter installation.
- Magura hydraulic clutch: The high quality German-made clutch system guarantees perfect modulation of the clutch in every condition. This means that the play is constantly compensated so that the pressure point and the function of the clutch remain identical in cold or hot conditions and over time. The Magura clutch also features even wear characteristics and is nearly maintenance-free.
- Brembo brakes: Class-leading Brembo callipers and controls with high quality GSK discs deliver superior stopping power instilling confidence in all situations. For MY17, the rear brake calliper uses a smaller piston diameter 24mm instead of 26mm, coupled with a 10mm longer rear brake lever the system delivers improved modulation and feeling.
- Electric start: Standard electric start ensures effortless and reliable starting that is especially useful in difficult terrain. The system is now coupled with a new Li-Ion battery saving 1 kg over the previous model.
- Design: 1-cylinder, 4-stroke engine
- Bore: 95 mm
- Stroke: 72 mm
- Starter: Electric starter
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Clutch: Wet, DDS multi-disc clutch, Magura hydraulics
- EMS: Keihin EMS
- Frame design: 25CrMo4 steel central-tube frame
- Front suspension: WP-USD Xplor 48 with preload adjuster
- Rear suspension: WP shock absorber with linkage
- Suspension travel (front): 300 mm
- Suspension travel (rear): 300 mm
- Front brake: Brembo twin-piston floating calliper, brake disc
- Rear brake: Brembo single-piston floating calliper, brake disc
- Front brake disc diameter: 260 mm
- Rear brake disc diameter: 220 mm
- Chain: X-Ring 5/8 x 1/4 in.
- Steering head angle: 63.5 deg.
- Ground clearance: 370 mm
- Seat height: 970 mm
- Tank capacity (approx.): 8.5 L
- Weight without fuel: 111 kg
- Engine Type
- 1-cylinder, 4-stroke engine
- Bore and Stroke
- 95 x 72 mm
- Front Suspension
- WP-USD Xplor 48 with preload adjuster
- Rear Suspension
- WP shock absorber with linkage
- Front Brakes
- Brembo twin-piston floating calliper, brake disc
- Rear Brakes
- Brembo single-piston floating calliper, brake disc
- Seat Height
- 970 mm
- Fuel Capacity
- 8.5 L
- Dry Weight
- 111 kg
- Final Drive
- Chain: X-Ring 5/8 x 1/4 in.